Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Richard's June newsletter

Dearest friends,

Happy summer time! It has been exactly six months now since I arrived in Geneva. Even though there has been a lot of transitioning (I have had to move six times in the past six months!) I feel really blessed to be here. Thank you all for having made this possible through your prayers, encouragement and financial support. I look forward to serving the Lord and continuing this faith adventure with you all.

Geneva Soup Kitchen

In recent months, I have been able to help out with one of the local soup kitchens in Geneva. This month, our church was in charge of cooking a lunch for over a hundred homeless people. On the menu were chicken, rice and salad with a chocolate dessert (of course!) It was also a good opportunity to sit down and talk to these people, where every day is a struggle in getting by. We hope to develop relationships with them as we look to be more actively involved in the soup kitchen.

Paris Project

In partnership with Agape France (CCC), Bill and I were invited up to Paris to participate in a two-week project which aimed to engage students in various activities. We were asked to do a humanitarian piece, where we presented the organisation’s vision in getting students involved in humanitarian work. We organised 2 ‘Soirees J’ai faim’ as an outreach to the homeless community. Again, it was so encouraging to see students turn out in great numbers to serve.

At the end of my visit to Paris, we rented out a cinema hall in one of the Marriott hotels. We projected a series of short-films and then had open discussions which were related to life and faith. At the end of the evening I got to share about our upcoming trip to Jordan. People were very responsive to the ‘Shoes for Smiles’ project where more and more socks and shoes are being provided for poor Bedouin kids.


Exciting summer schedule

Back in Geneva, things have been really busy as I make final preparations for various summer projects over the next month and a half:
- 5th - 15th July: I will be leaving for a staff conference in Thailand :
- 21st July - 1st August: I will be co-leading humanitarian trip to Jordan where we will be helping Iraqi refugees and Bedouin families, including the'Shoes for Smiles' project.
- 1st - 16th August: I will then be helping to lead a two and a half week bus trip across France. We will have 20 Spanish students with us as we engage in humanitarian projects in Marseille, Paris and Toulouse.

I am really excited to be part of this and look forward to sharing with you all about what the Lord is doing. My next newsletter will probably be in a couple of months but I can’t wait to keep you informed.

Prayer requests

• That the Lord will give me strength and peace in the midst of a hectic schedule.
• That the Lord will be glorified in all the projects that we are involved in.
• For the Lord’s hand to protect us and encourage us.
• That God would continue to provide me with monthly support.

I pray that you all have a blessed and refreshing summer break.

In Christ’s love,

Richard

No comments: